Both St. Boniface fire halls were closed. Two more fire halls built to replace the two above were current stations No. 3 at 337 Rue Des Meurons and No. 15 at 1083 Autumnwood Dr. in Windsor Park.

North Kildonan has a full-time fire department. First North Kildonan station at Essar Ave. & Henderson hwy. North Kildonan has excellent equipment: 2 pumpers, 1 rescue, and a 1000-gallon tanker truck.

Feb 8, 1970

Zion Apolstolic Church at 335 Pacific destroyed by fire.

Dec 7, 1971

Hotel Fort Garry fire.

Jan 1972

Current station at 525 Banting Dr. opened as St. James No. 4.

Sept 25, 1972

Grain Elevator fire

Mar 1973

Fire at the Kresge Store, 368 Portage Ave.

Jan 7, 1974

Amalgamation occurs: 8 municipal FDs, including Winnipeg, are combined to create one department.

Fire Prevention Branch is organized with 23 members.

No. 12 station at Dorchester & Wilton closed.

New No. 12 opened at 1710 Grosvenor Ave.

Jan 18, 1974

Haselemere fire, Ellice Ave., nine people killed.

Oct. 26, 1974

Elim Chapel fire

Aug. 9, 1975

John Labbatt’s Brewery fire

Feb 1, 1976

Fire at Fort Garry Court kills five, 175 people left homeless.

Jan 12, 1977

Ellice Ave. fire

Jan 31, 1977

Town & Country Lodge fire on Preston kills eight and injures 17, including one firefighter & two babies.


WFD receives 4 channel UhF radio system.

Mar. 5, 1978

Immaculate Conception Church fire


WFD receives computer-aided dispatch system (first in North America)

July 6, 1980

Fire at the Belvedere Apts. on Colony St. Firefighter Marsh Collins performs courageous rescue and earns “Canadian Firefighter of the Year”.

July 6, 1980

Big rescues occur at a fire at the Holiday Inn downtown.


First Responder Program begins to assist Winnipeg Ambulance Service.


WFD has a Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) Response Team.


High angle rescues are first performed.

WFD courses–HAZMAT, Technical Rescue & Captains’ duties.


Public relations & Lieutenants’ duties courses were offered.


WFD courses – Water Rescue.

WFD has a Water Rescue Team from Station No. 1.

Oct 9, 1999

Fire Service Museum officially opens to the public at 56 Maple St.

Have something to add?

If you are in possession of artifacts, documents, or photos relating to the fire fighting service, please do not hesitate to reach out to us and consider donating to our collection.

Your Donations Keep Our Engines Running

The Winnipeg Fire Museum aims to entertain and educate our visitors about the current processes and historical stories of the fire service and the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service.

The Firefighter’s Historical Society of Winnipeg aims to discover, collect, preserve, refurbish, and/or re-build significant equipment, apparatus, and materials related to the history and heritage of the local fire service, and promote and encourage public interest, accessibility, and appreciation for the fire profession.

The Winnipeg Fire Museum relies on your donations in order to continue with our mission. Please follow the link below to make a secure, charitable donation.  




© 2019 The Fire Fighters Historical Society of Winnipeg | Reproduction of the site in part or in whole prohibited unless with written permission. All rights reserved.