Oct. 1, 1946
3-platoon system is implemented, 46-hour week
Sept, 5, 1948
Artic Ice Company fire
Dec. 19, 1949
44-hour work week, giving fire fighters extra day off every second week.
All fire apparatus receive two-way radios.
New addition made to old No. 9 station at William Ave. W. and Cecil to become WFD repair shop.
Feb. 28, 1952
Furby Theatre fire
New fire station built on Watt St. for East Kildonan.
Mar. 3, 1954
The Manitoba & Imperial Hotels 4 businesses, 509-517 Main St. $87,713 in damage and losses
Mar. 30, 1954
Canoe Club of Winnipeg fire. $100,000 in damage
June 8, 1954
Time Building Fire, biggest and most memorable fire in Winnipeg history.
North Kildonan has a volunteer Fire Department.
Jan. 23, 1956
Minto Armouries fire
WFD gets first director of training with new training program.
May 25, 1956
CNR Fort Rouge Shops fire.
Sept. 12, 1965
Western Smallwares and Stationaries fire
Fire Prevention Division organized now with 14 members.
Fire Station No. 9 built at 664 Marion St.
Feb. 25, 1958
Wilson Furniture fire
June 20, 1959
Winnipeg gets first three digit emergency number for police, fire, and ambulance in North America – “Dial 999” (Eventually changed to 911).
Current Station No. 19 at 320 Whytewold Rd. opened as St. James No. 2.
Mar 1, 1960
4-platoon system was adopted, 42-hour workweek – two 10-hour days, two 14-hour night shifts in 8-week cycle.
WFD gets its first “snorkel” fire apparatus – that period’s newest advance in firefighting technology.
No.13 Station on Cathedral Ave. closed.
No. 6 Station built at 1501 Church Ave. Today it is now No. 17 Station.
Last Kildonan council decides a full-time fire dept. essential.
New and current No. 1 Station built at 65 Ellen St.
Apr. 30, 1965
After 50 years, Chief Arthur Martin retired from the St. Vital FD. During his rein, the department grew from a bucket brigade to a modern department with 14 pieces of apparatus and 26 fire fighters.
YMCA Fire, -20 F.
Current station No. 10 at 1354 Border St. opened as St. James No. 3.
Mar. 9, 1968
St. Stephen’s – Broadway United Church fire
July 22 1968
Infamous St. Boniface Basilica fire – infamous because the spectators were so thick that the WFD couldn’t reach the scene to assist the under equipped St. Boniface FD in fighting the fire.
Nov 12, 1968
St. Andrew’s United Church on Elgin Ave. destroyed.
Have something to add?
If you are in possession of artifacts, documents, or photos relating to the fire fighting service, please do not hesitate to reach out to us and consider donating to our collection.
Your Donations Keep Our Engines Running
The Winnipeg Fire Museum aims to entertain and educate our visitors about the current processes and historical stories of the fire service and the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service.
The Firefighter’s Historical Society of Winnipeg aims to discover, collect, preserve, refurbish, and/or re-build significant equipment, apparatus, and materials related to the history and heritage of the local fire service, and promote and encourage public interest, accessibility, and appreciation for the fire profession.
The Winnipeg Fire Museum relies on your donations in order to continue with our mission. Please follow the link below to make a secure, charitable donation.