St. Vital F.D. had 3 horse-drawn wagons and six men.
355 street corner fire alarm call boxes in use.
Jan. 11, 1916
Enderton Bldg burns on SW corner of Portage and Hargrave.
Feb. 15, 1917
Scott Bathgate Fire
Dept. goes on two-platoon system, no longer lived on job, 84-hour week.
West Kildonan gets a full-time department.
East Kildonan gets a 100-gallon horse drawn chemical wagon, first East Kildonan fire station at Munroe and Watt.
Dingwall Block fire. Due to weight of accumulating ice, Station No. 7’s aerial ladder snaps in half.
St. Boniface has a separate department of 31 men.
Jan. 23, 1922
Fashion Craft and Woolworth Store fire on Portage Ave. south side west of Garry.
Nov. 25, 1922
St. Boniface College fire; 10 dead, 18 injured.
Dec. 23, 1926
Winnipeg Theatre fire, 4 fire fighters killed, 10 injured.
East Kildonan gets a model ‘T’ Ford as first motorized vehicle.
Fire Prevention Bureau organized and had 3 members.
Apr. 14, 1928
Casa Loma Block fire at Sherbrook and Portage – some of WFD’s most dramatic rescues.
May 1, 1929
Fire fighters received one day off in seven.
Aug. 12, 1929
St. James fire fighters Alex Morrison and Federick Dolding killed when their truck turned over while responding to an alarm.
Sep. 1, 1929
Medway Court, Edmonton St. Fire kills 9 people.
May 16, 1930
Old Tribune Bldg. fire at 211 McDermot Ave.
June 11/12, 1930
Thorkelson Box Factory and Lumber Yards fire, $400,000 loss.
Last year horse-drawn hose wagon with sleigh runners used from No. 11 Stn.
450 street corner fire alarm call boxes in use
First one-way radios were installed in autos of district chief, deputy chief, and chief.
Two-way radios installed in all chiefs’ vehicles and the rescue squads.
Have something to add?
If you are in possession of artifacts, documents, or photos relating to the fire fighting service, please do not hesitate to reach out to us and consider donating to our collection.