Archives

1900-1914

1900 – 1914

Fire stations built in this time had hose towers.

No. 6 station on Pearl St. closed and demolished.

No. 7 station Burrows Ave. would become one of busiest stations.

No. 4 station built on Gertrude Ave. in Ft. Rouge (closed in 1930’s).

No. 5 station built on Sherbrook St. near Portage (closed 1919).

1904

New station built at 56 Maple Street (Today’s Fire Fighters Historical Society and Fire Fighters Museum).

Oct. 11, 1904

Bulman Block at Albert and Bannatyne fire.

1906

No. 8 Station built on Talbot Ave. in 1906.

No. 9 Station built on William Ave. and East. St. (Cecil) (WFD Mechanical Services until 1998)

Winnipeg Street Railway Strike, Rioters cause large disturbance, Chief William “Billy” Code fights back.

Neighbouring city, St. Boniface, opens its first fire hall at Tache and Goulet

1907

Department purchases a custom-built Seagrave water tower – a specialized apparatus for spraying water on multi-storied buildings.

St. Boniface HQ opened at 212 Dumoulin St.

1908

St. Boniface has a first full time fire department linked to police.

1909

Sterling Block – Fort St. Fire

Jan. 14, 1911

Kelly Block fire in -42 F weather.

1910

No 10 station at Sargeant and Burnell opened.  (Subsequently rebuilt in 1982 after community lobbied against demolition.)

Motorized equipment arrived.

1912

Neighbouring city, St. James, opens its first fire hall at Portage and Berry.  Eventually became WFD’s No. 11 station

Mar. 9, 1912

Tragic Redford Wright Building fire: two firefighters were killed and many firefighters and spectators were injured.

1913

No. 14 station on Lipton St. opened.

No. 15 Station at 524 Osborne St. opened.

Department had an assistant chief. Today called Deputy Chief.

1914

William “Fighting Billy” Code retires after 40 yr. service.

Neighbouring city, East Kildonan, establishes its first volunteer fire dept. with a two- wheeled chemical wagon in a shed at Bowman & Watt.

Neighbouring city, St. Vital, establishes its first volunteer fire department.

Kildonan volunteers organized.

Mar. 23, 1914

Scott Block fire at 272 Main St.

Have something to add?

If you are in possession of artifacts, documents, or photos relating to the fire fighting service, please do not hesitate to reach out to us and consider donating to our collection.

Your Donations Keep Our Engines Running

The Winnipeg Fire Museum aims to entertain and educate our visitors about the current processes and historical stories of the fire service and the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service.

The Firefighter’s Historical Society of Winnipeg aims to discover, collect, preserve, refurbish, and/or re-build significant equipment, apparatus, and materials related to the history and heritage of the local fire service, and promote and encourage public interest, accessibility, and appreciation for the fire profession.

The Winnipeg Fire Museum relies on your donations in order to continue with our mission. Please follow the link below to make a secure, charitable donation.  

Home
About
Visit
Archives
Community
Contact

DONATE NOW

 

© 2019 The Fire Fighters Historical Society of Winnipeg | Reproduction of the site in part or in whole prohibited unless with written permission. All rights reserved.